A Complete Real Estate SEO Guide For 2019 Realtors
Previously, it was easy to do a real estate SEO and get ranked in search engine results, but with the changes in Google algorithm and millions of articles published every day, the competition is high.
Every realtor is doing SEO for real estate websites, and it became a tough task to stand out from the group.
The competition in the real estate industry is high both in offline and online.
In this situation, to get into the top of SERPs is a big challenge. The best way to increase your visibility is to first focus on real estate local SEO. Once, you get local presence then, in the long run, you can cover the entire market.
Before going into in-depth of real estate SEO, first, let us look at the definition of real estate SEO.
What is Real Estate SEO?
Real estate SEO is a process of getting targeted traffic to your website from the organic search results. It’s a long term process to gain visibility on search results, when someone searches for the appropriate keywords.
Real estate SEO is categorised into two categories
- On-page SEO
- Off-page SEO
Why Real Estate SEO?
Following the old strategies of real estate SEO for your website will not fetch you any results.
You need to look out of the box, implement the advanced real estate SEO strategies that grab the attention of the audience depended on digital gadgets.
Real estate SEO is one of the important sources to get organic traffic to your website.
Organic search covers up to 95% of all online traffic and getting on the first page first result will fetch you a 34.36% click-through rate for desktop and 35% for mobile.
From these statistics, it’s clear that if you are not at the top of search results, you’re losing your real estate leads and making your competitors leverage out of it.
Through practising other real estate marketing strategies like paid Ads, social media, you will get leads for that particular period. However, if you do real estate SEO, it will fetch organic traffic to your website for the long term.
90% of property buyers are using the internet, and 53% of them do google search with some keywords based on their area, purpose of buying or selling or some specific factors.
Here are some real estate SEO tips based on the analysis of real estate SEO marketing:
Build a Mobile-Friendly Website
According to NAR–
- 58% of buyers found properties on the mobile device
- 14 % of buyers found real estate agents with a mobile device.
- 89% of new home buyers do mobile searches
With the increase in mobile searches, Google moved towards mobile first indexing.
It means Google started considering the mobile view of websites to rank websites in SERP.
You can do mobile friendly test of your site from this tool.
If you get any errors, you can check with your developer to correct it.
Look for these points when you look for mobile optimisation-
- Page speed
- Hosting speed
- Site navigation
- Responsive design
- Site search
- Home page.
Optimise your Website: Address all real estate SEO Parameters.
Keyword research plays a primary role in real estate SEO to optimise your website in SERPs.
Selecting the right keywords for your real estate business is mandatory.
You can do keyword research through various online tools available on the internet.
Alternatively, you can do this manually by typing it into Google.
If you’re looking to buy a property, then by typing in google ”property for sale” you can get a list of keyword suggestions. You take that as focus keywords to target your audience.
Top tools you can use for keyword research are-
- Google keyword planner tool
- Ahrefs Keywords Explorer
- Moz Keyword explorer
See how it looks for Ahrefs keyword explorer
Keyword research can be done with a single word or a group of words.
Keywords are categorised into three types-
Short tail keywords
Which is usually one word which describes the general view, for example- “realtors”.
Medium tail keywords
It consists of 2-3 words in a keyword which specifies something, for example- “SEO for Realtors”, “real estate SEO”.
Long tail keywords
It consists of a group of 3-5 words. It describes exactly what information the audience needs, for example- “SEO for real estate websites”.
All these keywords have their unique strengths that can help you in different circumstances to carry out real estate SEO effectively.
When you’re into real estate business going for local keywords will work best for you.
Generally, people look for properties near to their area, so that they can keep an eye on their property.
Examples for targeting local keywords for real estate SEO such as-
- Property for sale in [city]
- Real estate in [city]
- Home for sale in [city]
- Real estate listings in [city]
- Realtor near me
- Real estate agent in [city]
- Property for sale near me
69% of home buyers first search for the local keywords. You can take this opportunity and focus on local keywords first.
Once you got a list of keywords for which you want to rank for in SERP. Create a separate page/blog article for every keyword.
Don’t forget, on every page; you must include focus keyword in these five areas- Title, URL, Page content, Meta description and Image ALT texts.
It’s one of the reasons to rank your page high in search engine results.
Maintain the keyword density in between 1-2%, it’s a good ratio.
If your going beyond that Google will consider it as the keyword stuffing and the chances of getting a penalty on your page and website too.
Don’t add keywords forcefully in a page, provide as much as information you can, based on the keyword and add it merely with the flow of content.
Use keyword synonyms and supportive phrases
Google is making use of artificial intelligence to enhance the experience of the audience with the right results.
Google can understand what you’re looking for from your long tail or short tail keywords.
Consider an example
If you type “property for sale” in Google search.
Google even shows you the results for “Flats for sale”, “house for sale” and similar your keyword synonyms which can help you to get the right answer for your query.
In this way also you can get traffic to your website.
Use Long Tail Keywords
You can put long tail keywords in your content in the form of questions and provide an appropriate answer for the query.
Consider an Example for long tail keywords for real estate SEO-
- What are the advanced real estate SEO strategies?
- What are the tips for implementing real estate SEO?
Usually, it’s difficult to use long tail keywords in the content, but if we can make it as a question, it can become a win-win situation for both the readers to get interesting and useful information and you to focus on a keyword.
Long tail keywords have less searches but the competition is very low, and for short tail keywords it’s vice versa.
Build SEO-Friendly URL Structure
- Use keywords in your URL
- Structure URL in a logical flow from domain to category and subcategory
- Your URL should describe the content.
- Use simple words in a URL
- Avoid using prepositions and conjunctions in URL.
- Keep your URL as short as possible covering complete meaning.
- Use static URLs with a logical flow and descriptive keywords.
- Don’t use URL in this format.
- Use “301 redirect” to redirect the one version (Https) to another version (Http) vice versa. It will help you don’t miss any backlinks pointing either of the versions.
You can do this by going through these steps- Google search console in configuration > Settings> Preferred Domain.
- Make use of canonical tags when you have multiple versions of the same page to help Google which one you preferred most.
- Create an XML sitemap to help Google find your site and to choose from canonical URLs in your website easily.
Optimisation of Image
Optimisation of an image can help you to reduce page load speed, improve keyword performance and boost your visibility in image search results.
Image optimisation you can do by considering these points-
- Make use of JPEGs format images on the website.
- Reduce the file size to increase the loading speed of the page.
- Write ALT text of images in a way which describes the purpose of an image. At some times when a page fails to load image ALT text appears in the place of images and people can understand the content of image through ALT text.
- Make use of relevant images in the page and don’t go for often used stock images for this, you can make use of free tools like- Canvas, Freepik and others.
- Create an image sitemap to improve the crawlability of Google.
- Create Twitter Cards and Open Graph for social shares.
Build your Broken Links
Building broken links of your website will act as a booster for real estate SEO. First, find broken links of your website from the various tools available in the market.
Find out the reason for broken links and resolve the issues.
The reason for broken links can be any due to-
- A website or webpage is no longer available
- A web page removed without redirecting it to another web page.
- Change in the structure of URL
- Misspelling or Missing of any characters in URL
- Blocked by robots.txt,
- Not found, server errors and many others.
You need to look for every broken link and resolve it according to the error and redirect it to an appropriate web page.
Website Speed Optimisation
Take the help of Google page insights to test the speed of your website on both mobile and desktop.
It’s a better and straightforward way to understand where you’re lagging in, to increase the loading speed of the page.
Content is the driving factor that brings your audience to your website.
Writing quality and informative content needs so much of efforts. What if, your content is not getting any traffic.
Content optimisation plays a crucial role in SEO for real estate website.
Here are some points that you need to consider for optimising your content-
- Write an eye catchy headline with the focus keyword
- Including targeted keywords in subheaders
- Start with the focus keyword in the content. (Recommended)
- Include at least one focus keyword in the first paragraph of the content. (Recommended)
- Make titles and subtitles with H1, H2, H3 meta tags.
- Add ALT attributes for images with relevant keywords.
- Add meta description which describes the content including focus keyword.
- Don’t include keywords forcefully in the content.
- Write in-depth & useful content with more than 2000+ words.
- Informative content which provides complete information on the topic taken.
- Add external links wherever required for reference.
- Add internal links instead of rewriting the same content which is already there on your website.
- Use eye-catching images/infographic/videos wherever required to describe the topic.
- Encourage audience to comment on your page.
- Use Plugin like Yoast SEO for content optimisation, it helps you to test the readability of the content and SEO factors.
Schema markup is a code that you need to add to your website to help search engines understand what the piece of text is, by helping to return more relevant information to the users.
It will help you to create your data in a structured way and to get visible in search engine results as a rich snippet.
Featured snippet improves click-through rate of your page.
Link Building ideas
Link building plays a significant role in increasing domain authority & improves the organic ranking of a website, faster indexing, and referral traffic. Google gives priority to sites with high domain authority.
Here are some of the real estate SEO ideas that can help you to build backlinks to your website-
- Publish “Skyscraper” Content
- Find link-worthy content
- Make something even better
- Reach out to the right people
- Become a source for reporters and bloggers (HARO)
All you need to do is use a free service called Help a Reporter Out (HARO).
- Use content formats proven to generate links and social shares
- List posts, quizzes, “Why” posts, “How to” posts, infographics and videos
- Publish ultimate guides
- Get links from authority resource pages
- Do link roundups
- Broken link building of other website
- Do guest posting
- Infographic link building
- Submitting in blog directories
- Company directory submissions
- Emailing of people that we mention in articles.
Use Robots.txt File
Robots.txt is a text file which is placed on the top-level directory of your web page code to help Google to crawl or index easily.
It instructs the Google crawler telling which page to crawl and which page to skip.
There are some pages which you don’t want Google to crawl such as- Admin page, shopping cart, chats, account pages, pagination pages and many more. With the help of this robots.txt file, you can avoid that.
Robots.txt file has four meta robots tags that help crawler how to crawl a web page which included-
Get Your Real Estate Business into Google
Focus on Google three platforms Google My business, and Google Maps.
Make sure you get listed in these two to increase your visibility in SERP if your site meets the standard of Google guidelines such as DA, page rank and age of the website, quality content, real estate SEO and other factors.
You can get visible in top three non-paid positions in SERP.
Generally, people get more inclined towards search results which provide complete features which they are looking for like- snapshots, ratings, reviews, and Google Map directions.
While creating your Google My Business Account, you should be careful filling the details because it’s hard to change the details once you claim for your business.
Load the correct address because Google will send the authorisation code to your address, phone number, working hours, opening and closing time, website home page link, directions, appealing videos, images and engaging content which describes your business.
Getting listed in these Google two platforms will act as a bonus to get listed in SERP.
Business Directories & Listings Submissions
Registering on real estate directories & listings will help you to verify your business and drive backlinks to your website.
Do research and gather a list of directories and listings of real estate business and sign up with your business details.
Fill the complete details of your real estate business, so that it will be easy for the clients to find you.
In some directories, they permit you to post articles on their website.
You can check the posted articles on some interval and reply to the comments or send a thank you message.
Add logos of registered directories and listings on your site. Help your clients to build trust in you.
Some of the top Indian business directories include-
- Yellow pages, and others.
Create a Blog
- Start a blog and cover all the basic to advanced topics of your real estate business.
- Think the way your clients think and try to provide an answer to every question that comes into their mind through your blog articles. Include images, infographics and videos wherever necessary to better understand the topic to the readers.
- Use the trending topics and provide in-depth information that drives the audience to your blog. Most of the brands known because of their blog posts than advertising.
- Optimise your content by implementing real estate SEO tips add keywords in areas like- Title, Headers, ALT tags, Meta description, URL and in the entire content.
- Make use of Geo keywords to target the local audience.
- Use tools to create catchy titles like coschedule.com.
- Check for grammar, readability, SEO score and other plagiarism issues in the content before publishing it.
- Create and maintain social media accounts in top sites like Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, Twitter, and many others.
- Share your know-how, available plots for sale, rent, or lease, achievements or success and something which describes you, your business and informative content to the audience on social profiles.
- Create Facebook pages and participate in other real estate groups.
- Create a Facebook page with a cover video.
- Use 360 view images or videos in posts.
- Do keyword targeting on twitter
- Use Facebook messenger chatbots.
- Add hashtags in your content
- Don’t post old content; come up with valuable information than other realtors.
- Go live on Facebook at your properties.
- Pin photos to popular Pinterest boards
- Do location-based targeting
- Add other popular social media tabs on your Facebook page.
Real estate SEO plays a significant role to rank your website in SERP.
SEO for real estate website is a long term procedure to get visible in organic search results.
Following old real estate SEO will not fulfil your purpose, you need to take a step ahead.
The above mentioned real estate SEO tips can assist in building a strong SEO that can help you dominate in local search.
We hope this article can help you in real estate SEO marketing.
Please do implement the above strategies for your real estate business and comment on your experience with us.