What Is Google Indexing? Secrets To Google Index Your Website Completely
Many of us don’t know how Google index works for ranking a website. Google uses an internal algorithm to provide the most relevant results for a search query.
Crawling and indexing is the basic foundation for any website to get listed in search engine results.
Without knowing the basics of how crawling and indexing works, it’s impossible to rank a website in search engine results.
It’s not something which you can’t perceive. This article is brief and clear as day to make your search engine optimization base strong.
What is crawling?
When you have started your website, how do web crawler search engine know that you have a site or you have added new content to your existing website?
For this, you can add the link to your sitemap or submit your link to the Google search console (webmaster). Here the role of data crawling starts.
Within ten days of your content submission publicly it gets crawled by the Google crawler (bots).
The function of the web crawler is to crawl the entire web pages available publicly. Google Crawler collects the ‘Do-follow’ web pages across the web.
It also follows all the internal and external links on that webpage. The SEO crawler pays more attention to the new content, new sites or any changes in the existing sites, dead links and follows links.
It takes snapshots of webpage content and other information like- meta tags, keywords, domain names, URLs, meta description, images, and other data after collecting that information it sends to the main program for indexing the site.
What is Google Indexing?
Google indexing means sorting the web pages collected from the web during the crawling process. A Google index is like a database for search engines.
It depends on factors like- Titles, Meta tags, Keywords, No-index and index status in Robots.txt file.
Once the webpage gets crawled, the data is stored as a cache on a large number of colossal search engine servers so that it can be retrieved fastly whenever a user performs a search query.
Purpose of Google Indexing:
- To prioritize results based on the relevancy and quality of information.
- To come up with the keyword matching results in a search engine.
Google index follows an advanced algorithm to prioritize the web pages in search engine results. It undertakes the relationships of your website linked with all other sites and its on-page SEO factors.
In one word, Google indexing is to make relevant and accurate answers available to the search queries as soon as possible.
There are some pages in your website which you don’t want to get crawl by bots such as – admin page, comments, feeds, trackbacks, and others.
With the help of the Robots.txt file, you can easily skip the crawling of the specific web page.
Robots.txt file can only skip crawling, but it will not guarantee indexing of web page.
It means the pages which get indexed by Google may or may not get crawled by the web crawlers.
In the same way, the web pages which get crawled may or may not get indexed. Because to get Google indexed it needs to satisfy the Google algorithm guidelines.
What is the Difference Between Crawling and Indexing?
Crawling is the process which is done to index the website links. When web crawler visits the new or updated links, it’s called crawling, when the crawled links saved in the search engine database to index that is called indexing.
Indexing is the same as the index page we have in our books, where we go to the particular page by seeing index.
After crawling and data is indexed when query rises Google checks indexed data, sort out and displays the search results accordingly by considering points such as –
- Relevant information
- Keyword count in content
- Synonyms of the keyword
- Website speed, page rank
- Backlinks and other factors.
This complete processes carried out in just a half second once you searched for that keyword.
How to Make Google Crawl or Index your Website Completely?
To ensure your site get crawled and indexed, you should have answers for these questions.
How to know Google indexed your website or not?
- Type this command “site: www.yourdomain.com” on a google search. It comes up with the list of pages indexed under that domain along with the main domain.
- Another way is to check when your site gets indexed from command Cache:www.yourdomain.com”.
- One more way is to copy some unique text from your website put it in quotes and search it in Google search like -”Your website content”.
Why does Google not index every page on the website?
XML sitemap acts as a roadmap of your site which helps Google to crawl or index all pages of your site.
It’s not mandatory that the page or URL which is present in the sitemap file will get index after submitting it to search console.
Even though you did everything technically correct, Google won’t guarantee that it will get indexed. Most of the time the reasons for not getting indexing is due to these factors:
- Doorway pages: Web pages with duplicate content
- Thin pages: Web pages with sloppy design
- Blocking in a robots.txt file.
- URLs which have no importance to Google index
- Duplicate URLs
- Conflicting indexation instructions
- Pages with poor quality designs
- Spammy pages
What’s the frequency Google follows to crawl or recrawl the existing URLs?
Google doesn’t follow any frequency or priority to crawl or recrawl the URLs. Instead, it looks for the last modification date for crawling. The crawl stats report for website provides information on crawler or bots activity on your website for the previous 90 days.
An RSS feed is also the fastest way to make updates in Google with the help of pubsubhubbub.
The XML sitemap file allows us to specify the last modification date, so Google will get to know which files to crawl and skip crawling of the files which are not modified any.
Even you can separate the XML sitemap files into separate smaller files so that you can understand accurately where and which page has a Google indexing problem.
What are the common reasons for not getting a Google index?
- Google prefers the links that direct specific to that particular piece of content instead of redirecting it to other content. Google considered it as conflicting information, and it can become the reason for not getting Google index.
- While submitting your URL consider every single character, even if there is a slight difference in the URL, Google will recognize it as the different link. For example, if you use www or slash for one link, not for another it will consider a technically different link.
What is the maximum limit for XML sitemap file?
According to the source from sitemaps.org, the limitations for XML sitemap files is you can submit any number of sitemap files, but the limit for each site map file must not have URLs more than 50000 and no larger than 10 MB.
What is the reason for removing of indexed URLs in search console?
Google looks at both page and site quality for indexing. If you want to enhance the quality of the website, then you take pages with low quality or pages which qualities can’t be improved and no index it.
What factors does Google index consider as low quality?
These are some of the factors Google considers as low quality:
- Poor quality page design
- No added value for users
- Lots of spammy comments
- Negative reputation
- Automatically generated content
- No contact details
- Server issues
- Pages created to link others
- No specific purpose for creating a page
- Keyword stuffing
- Inappropriate customer service pages
- Duplicate or low-quality content effects expertise, authority and trust of the website.
- Inadequate or fake or incorrect information
- Deceptive practices detected
- Not adhering to the rules of Google.
What factors does Google index consider as high quality?
These are some of the factors that Google consider under high quality for indexing a website:
- Website with proper design
- Functional page design
- High-quality content
- Updated copyright notifications
- Topical authority to page author
- Content with useful and accurate information
- Positive reputation
- Adequate placement of Ads without distracting the website content
- Proper and complete contact information
- Helpful and customized 404 Error pages
- Awards winnings
Concentrating on these points will help you even in doing voice search SEO and make you visible for the modern type of searches along with normal SEO.
To Sum up:
Crawling and indexing are the significant and foremost step for a website to get in search engine results.
In crawling, web crawler crawls and collects data throughout the web.
In indexing, index acts as a database for web crawler search engine and sort out the pages collected by web crawler online based on the keyword relevant information present on the website.
Google is not responsible for indexing all the pages it crawled; it depends on the quality of the link submitted. That is, web pages that get crawled may or may not get indexed.
Its crucial for every website to get Google indexed to gain visibility in the search engine results.
While taking into account the points mentioned above, you can help Google to crawl or index more pages.
I hope this article can assist you to Google index your website and enhance your visibility in search engine results.
Please comment on your know-how with us. We are glad to listen to you.