An In-depth Guide On How Google Adwords Retargeting Works
If groundwork for your business is through digital advertising, you might have tried various digital marketing techniques to drive the audience to your website.
Despite your efforts, if the audience comes and goes to your site without taking any actions, it will be excruciating for you.
What will be the solution to it? How to make visitors to your website as your customers?.
Google Adwords retargeting is the solution for it; it even helps you to target audience more specifically.
Moreover, it provided a new life to the marketers by bringing their audience back by sitting at their place.
Excited to know about Google Adwords retargeting? This article will help you in getting what Google Adwords retargeting Ads are and how it works for your business.
Let’s Know What Google Adwords Retargeting Is?
Google Adwords retargeting offers an opportunity to the advertiser’s to regain bounced traffic to their website through display Ads. It brings highly potential customers back to their site resulted in a higher conversion of customers. Google remarketing Ads follow your website visitors wherever they visit online.
According to ‘adroll’, 2% of the website visitors convert in the first visit. And remaining 98%, you can retarget by making them take any actions.
First of all, it’s easy to convert an audience who already visited your website than new visitors. The audience who knows about you and your service their next step is to take action.
To illustrate, Consider an example:
When a visitor first visits your website, a visitor at least gets the idea about the purpose of building a site. They will get to know the type of product or service offering and its feature, cost and benefits. When they visit a second time, they again don’t look for all those details. They go for taking final actions. Google Adwords remarketing works well here to take those actions.
To put it in another way, it’s a best-paid marketing strategy with a high return on investment,
Look at some statistics that can help in convincing with these strategies.
- The website retargeted audience are more likely to convert by 70%. (Source: criteo.com)
- CTR (click through rate) of a retargeted ad is ten times higher than the CTR of display network ad. (Source: digitalinformationworld.com)
- 91% of advertisers experienced good results with retargeting Ads than the search, email or other display Ads. (Source: iab.com)
- 49% of brands utilise their marketing budget to retargeting Ads. (Source: incite-group.com)
- 68% of marketing agencies make use of retargeting Ads. (Source: incite-group.com)
- 35% of the advertiser, use retargeting Ads to improve their brand visibility. (Source: scribd.com)
- Only 11% of advertisers have negative perception over retargeting Ads and 30% of advertisers; they have excellent impression over retargeting Ads. (Source: emarketer.com)
Surprisingly, retargeting and remarketing Ads used interchangeably. However, they have some difference. For instance, remarketing Ads used mostly for list-based marketing and retargeting used for pixel-based marketing.
Let’s Know How Google Adwords Retargeting Works?
Whenever a new audience visits the site, it automatically gets saved in the cookies. Then, cookies notify it to Demand Side Platform(DSP), and Real-Time Bidding (RTB) takes place in a fraction of seconds, and Ads get displayed to the visitor.
You can follow any of the four types of Google Ads remarketing strategies to retarget your audience based on your business requirements.
Google Adwords retargeting are of four types:
In this, static image Ads displayed to the audience, who previously visited your website via the display network.
Google Dynamic Remarketing
In this, dynamic image Ads displayed to the audience for particular services or products that a visitor looked at before.
Consider an example
If you’re looking for sports shoes on Amazon, any company who is in this business will adopt Google dynamic remarketing to create an ad using the same model in a display ad on your most visited sites. To use dynamic retargeting you also need a Google Merchant Center account.
Remarketing Lists for Search Ads (RLSA)
It retargets audience who visited your site and moved to do a google search.
It retargets the audience who looked at your YouTube videos. You also have an option to use YouTube Ads to remarket to people who visited your site.
Google Ads remarketing is a perfect platform for marketers to regain their customers. At the start, it will be somewhat challenging, once you master it. It will be straightforward to grab the attention of the customer which are more inclined towards your products or services.
To make you understand clearly, please look at these simple steps to create your first Google remarketing Ads.
Google Adwords retargeting Ads set up
Step 1: Fix a goal
Determine the purpose of your advertising based on that segment the audience you want to target. Some of the daily tactics advertisers do to retarget their audience are.
- Improve brand awareness
- Make audience know competitive features of a product or service
- Remind the audience for the expiry of service/product
- Make them repurchase the same product/service after a period.
- Up-sell or cross-sell to the existing customers
- Provide exciting offers to the audience for a certain period.
- Make the audience know what’s new in your products or services.
Step 2: Determine your audience
Here, you can be very specific to the audience you want to target with Google retargeting Ads. It provides a fewer number of options to target the audience. Before selecting the audience, you must check with these points.
- Which page URL they visited?
- How much time did they spend on a particular page?
- How many pages did they visit on your website?
- What’s their mode of payment in the past?
- Do they satisfy the demographic, geographic, and behaviour margin of your target audience?
Step 3: Set up remarketing
Before setting up a remarketing campaign, you need to first copy and paste the code in your website for enabling cookies. Also, ensure your website has a good number of active audience in the past 30 days for Google display remarketing and at least 1,000 audiences for Google search remarketing.
Basic steps to follow
- Sign in Google Adwords
- Select campaigns
- Then go to the shared library on the left menu
- Next click audiences
- Go to set up remarketing
- If you’re capable enough to handle all these, you can select an option to ‘view Adwords tag for websites’. Or else if you want the developer to handle all these type developer email address in the ‘send to’ box and the instructions sent to the developer.
- Copy the remarketing code and paste at the bottom of every page of your website.
Advanced steps to set up remarketing tag on analytics
To target audience based on your conversion goals or page visits, you can go with the basic steps described above. And for targeting a specific audience based on demographic, geographic, technology, behaviour and much more. You need to adapt to these below steps.
- Connect Adwords to analytics
- Sign in google analytics
- Then, Select admin
- Choose audience definitions
- Select audiences
- Click on a new audience
- Add a name to your list, based on your goal and audience.
- Copy the Google Analytics embed code and replace it.
Step 4: Build a remarketing list
Once you have copied the code in your website, it’s time to create your audience list based on step 2 defined criteria.
- Sign in Adwords
- Click shared library
- Select Audiences
- Under website visitors, choose set up remarketing
- Add a particular list name.
- Select a predefined template from the “who to add to your list”.
- You can select one or more condition that a single web page needs to satisfy.
- Add membership duration, to determine the period for which the visitor should present in the list. This option is present only for display network Ads. Then save it.
Step 5: Create a remarketing campaign
- Sign in Adwords
- Click on all campaigns
- Choose Display Network Only or Search Network Only.
- Add a name to the campaign
- On the right side, ‘all features’ box select remarketing
- Enter your budget
- Save and continue
- Add a name to Ad group
- Enter your optimised CPC budget
- Add your remarketing lists
- Save and continue
Step: 6 Creating banner Ads
- In Google display network, have an option of creating display Ads which includes- text, images, videos and rich media.
- You can use free tool Google Display Ad builder for creating Ads. From that, can use images from pre-defined templates. Even you can customize them according to business needs by modifying the banner size and formats
Step 7: Test and optimise your campaign
Above all, It’s your first time to create a campaign for the business. In one attempt you can’t get the desired result. You need to experiment with different Ads creatives to get the desired result. Here are the different options which you can experiment with it to better manage your retargeting campaigns.
- Track the conversion rate of every campaign set up.
- Use frequency capping on the number of times an audience sees an Ad per day.
- Test with language, preference, location and membership duration settings.
- Experiment remarketing Ads with both entirely new or similar product categories.
- If possible, provide an offer to the audience on multiple visits.
With these steps, you’re ready to create a retargeting campaign.
Finally, to conclude Google Ads retargeting became a promising way to fulfil marketing needs.
It’s a straightforward process just like creating a campaign with some modifications.
To start with Google remarketing Ads, you need to add code to the website to save cookies after that; Ads follow them throughout the web automatically.
It can carry out in four ways to be more specific to your targeted audience.
Experiment with different Ad primitives to know which leads to more conversions.
Generally, retargeting is a bit confusing at the start, once you master, it will be very fruitful for your advertising needs.
Hope you got the idea how Google retargeting works and ways to make use of it in clear steps. Please do comment and describe your experience with Google retargeting Ads.